Wednesday 26 March 2008

Progress report

Things are progressing in my new job.
Had individual meetings with each of the team members and also had the 1st team meeting where I took the lead.
Today we held the 1st business review, with invitees from other departments. It went really well, it's great to have a good start, as everyone was really upbeat afterwards. It builded confidence and momentum.

I'm getting the 1st challenges of being a line manager. One of my direct reports was supposed to prepare some charts for the business review. As we met the day before the review, the work done was appaling. Even though the report has an agreed early finishing time and has kids to take care of, I had to hold the person accountable. She had to work late and take stuff home. It made me quite unconfortable, I hated doing it, but I guess you have to make points early on. Specially because she had loads of time to prepare the info.
It's uncomfortable but I am learning!!! This is why I wanted to get people management experience. To learn, and to become a better manager!

No comments: