Sunday 30 March 2008

Farewell part I

This Thursday and Friday did the final handover meetings in my previous job. It was... much better than what I had antecipated.
The first day I handed over to this new guy who is hugely arrogant. He got the job because... his wife is the daughter of a big shot. These things happen, even in large blue chips! I struggle with it, really, specially because this particular guy doesn't show anything apart from the capacity to rub people the wrong way.
Well, we got along and I did a professional handover, as I'm used to, preparing all the files and fully taking him through everything, finishing with my personal learnings and advice on next steps and how to progress. My boss was gonna join for an intro, he came on the run as I was 10 minutes into handing over and... I realised he was surprised that I was actually doing it this way. I guess in his experience most people just wanna move along and really do not care about the previous job. He left to leave us to it and only returned when I was finished.

Then he organised a farewell dinner for me. The turnout was low as most people were travelling (as usual) but he really made an effort, and it turned out to be a cool dinner! We had fun. I valued this as most of them spend most of their time travelling and away from home, so making the effort to come out when they are on their home town close to their wifes and kids... is valuable.

Part II to come soon.

No comments: