Tuesday 25 November 2008

The importance of sleep

Been quite tired in the last couple of months. Pressure at work is high, as the business is having a rough year and more job cuts are widely expected (and will happen).

In the last few weeks, as the clock nears 5 or 6pm I find myself really tired! Even if I still have quite a lot of things to do, I don't seem to find the energy to keep at it and tackle them.

For 1 day last week and also yesterday, I get home, grab something to eat and after I lay down in bed at around 8pm just to read a few quick lines on some book I... doze off! And after waking up a couple of hours later, I just change and go into bed for the rest of the night. The following day, I find that I really get a lot more done, have a much more positive atitude and find problems much easier to deal with - the solution just pops up a lot quicker!

Sleep is hugely important. In the daily stress and pressure, so many times we fail to listen to our body, ignoring that it needs the downtime to recharge. And even if we push ourselves on that day to get more done, it won't be effective as the following day we will be less energized and won't be able to get as much done.

Also, it is important to switch off when you get home. But that is another topic. And I confess it is not one that I am any good at, but definitely one that I need to improve on!!!

No comments: