Friday 7 November 2008

Effects of economic downturn...

My company is having a poor year... having planned to grow about 3% we're gonna find ourselves declining about 4% or more.
Being a listed company, this has to have impacts, as shareholders want to see changes. So, the pressure is mounting. The MD has already commited to reduce the number of employees.

I am finding the department that I'm in charge of under pressure. I've heard a couple of comments about how we actually might not be here in a few months. I already know for sure that I will have to reduce the headcount. It seems to me we are on the razors edge. We need to show results, concrete objective results quickly and consistently.

I've been doing this for 6 months and am only now really driving things and making things happen. I have a junior team but that works hard, with good attitude and a will to make a difference.
But unfortunately I am also a junior member on the board and there are a few there who are playing their cards well in order to make sure the cuts are coming from other departments rather than their own. Which is obviously only natural.
Most annoying to me is to see the young people in my team toiling hard everyday, working to deliver concrete specific and objective work while in other departments... people are using their energy in influencing games and playing games to ensure others look bad and will therefore be more likely to go than them.

I'm taking it as a learning curve. The part that really hurts me the most is regarding my team. I've been building a good solid career throughout the years and I know that one way or another if I have to go, I will find a good job. But the people in my team are still in the begining of their careers and this can hurt them, scar them a bit. The part that hurts is that they actually are good workers, with good attitude and will to learn.

In the end, I hope that justice happens. I believe that if you work hard and play fair, good things will inevitably come to you. Though you do have to go through rough patches, that will only make you stronger.

No comments: