Wednesday 24 September 2008

Learnings at the top

Since the last 6 months, I have assumed a board role. In the past 10 years of my career, I have done a variety of jobs in different countries, most of them manager jobs but still functional, and with a functional boss that I report into.

As I find myself reporting to the MD and part of the board, there are huge differences. It is just a different ball game, and certainly less enjoyable, at least in the begining, until I don't get used to it and am still the rookie...

- you don't have a close boss to report into, that will guide you and cover you
- when there are problems, most board members worry about pushing them and quickly placing the blame on other board member
- most of my time and concerns are now to be spent on managing these relations and making sure my teams work is perfectly done by the books (even if this takes more time and makes the company less efficient and customer focused)... Now only in parts of the day am I finding some time to progress the work of my team!

I know that it is my first role like this and I shouldn't really generalise. I also know that in difficult times, like the current ones, with accute economic pressure and decresing sales, these situations become much more visible. I also know that I work in a multinational and smaller companies are for sure simpler and more straightforward.

But nevertheless, it is a different life.
For the time being, I will experience it and learn from it. Later I will decide if I want to cope with this and progress or look at my career in a different way, probably in a different place.

No comments: