Monday 29 September 2008

The importance of objectives and also deadlines

In the last few weeks, I have been living in the adrenaline of launching a few new products into the market. The way my company is set up, we tend to do it twice in the year.
The last few weeks were tough, as it was the first meeting I was at since I've taken the new job and my team was responsible for launching quite a few products, most of them in fact. It was very stressful as a lot of things got complicated in the run up to the launch and required a lot of work and difficult conversations and also late nights.
The day of the meeting was good. I presented to a large group of people, about 220 which was good. Presenting is something I really really like, I get a real kick out of it, and of speaking to people before and after my presentations at these kind of meetings. I got very good feedback, people enjoyed it, I do thinkk that I actually do it quite well. I should try and incorporate more of it into my job, as it is definitely one of my strenghts. I did it better than the md, or the sales director, or the marketing director.

Today is the monday after the meeting and I am now struggling! The thing is I don't have that clear target that was the launch meeting to work for. That was a clear target that I was working towards to. Now I do have objectives but they are not that pressing or clear. I could feel and imagine or view the launch meeting.

It is critical to have clear objectives. To have something to work towards to. To have big objectives that then you can organise your working day around them. And these objectives need to have deadlines, otherwise you will progress quite slowly towards them and probably get demotivated half way through.

Action:
- think through what I really want to achieve in the next 3 months (until the end of the year)
- break them down into smaller actions
- Put clear deadlines in to each action and objective

No comments: